2023 BSG RIDE DETAILS
2023 marks the 23rd year of Blood Sweat and Gears, aka “BSG”. Our charity cycling event has been raising money to support area non-profit organizations and to provide valuable resources for the underserved and unmet needs of the High-Country community since 1999. BSG showcases the mountain communities of Watauga and Ashe counties. The ride consists of two routes. A very challenging 95-mile route and a 45-mile route that is shorter on mileage but still big on the challenge. Both routes include epic area climbs, including the BSG signature climb, Snake Mountain.
BSG VIP CLUB
Riders can register as a member of the BSG VIP Club. VIP Club membership is limited to the first 120 riders that register for one of the VIP Club options. Members will receive several special perks reserved exclusively for BSG VIP Club members. Valle Crucis Community Park will host our post-ride activities this year. As a VIP Club member, you will receive the following;
- Preferred parking at the Valle Crucis Community Park
- Exclusive access to restrooms and changing room at the park
- Fast Track Packet Pick-up – VIP Club members will have an exclusive packet pick-up on Friday afternoon
- Continental breakfast and a VIP-only pre-ride rest stop on the morning of the ride.
- Exclusive BSG Swag bag filled with awesome swag from BSG and our BSG sponsors. Must be present at the event to receive.
LIMIT: 120 – We will only have 120 of these exclusive memberships available. The cost will be $200 per rider which includes your ride registration and all of the VIP Club perks. Your additional donation will help BSG to continue providing financial support for the underserved and unmet needs of the High-Country community.
Note: VIP Club members carpooling with non-members will still have access to the preferred parking. Non-club members will not have access to the additional perks even if carpooling with a club member.
BSG Rider Requirements and Safety Rules
- All riders participating in BSG are required to display their assigned bib number on the bicycle they are riding and also on the back of their jersey. We provide both jersey and bike bib numbers.
- All riders participating in BSG are required to wear a bicycle helmet that meets industry standards.
- Headphones, radios, and/or any other noise amplification or personal listening devices are strictly prohibited during the ride. Exceptions are made only for medical devices such as hearing aids.
- All riders participating in BSG are required to understand and obey all traffic laws as they apply to cyclists in both NC and TN.
- BSG does not provide a closed course. Use caution at all intersections, railroad crossings, and steep descents.
- All riders participating in BSG agree that while riding in this event, they will always operate their bicycle in a way that allows the rider to maintain control of their bicycle while riding on any segment of the course, including steep descents and sharp turns, for their own personal safety and the safety of others around them.
- BSG is designed for participants riding a multi-geared bicycle with rim or disc brakes. Traditional road bikes and others that are similar in design are best suited for the steep climbs and fast, winding descents of BSG. Purpose-built tricycles and handcycles are allowed. We do not allow non-traditional bicycles such as unicycles, elliptical-type cycles, or any cycle built to carry more than two (2) riders. We do not allow roller blades, skateboards, hoverboards, or any other similar type of non-pedaling device.
- E-bikes or “Electric Assisted Bicycles”: BSG allows the use of Class 1 e-bikes (without throttle) and with specifications that do not exceed limits defined by NCGS 20-4.01 7(a).
- All riders must be 18 years old or older on June 24th, 2023.
- Riders must be present at the event to receive free promotional items.
- There is no camping or overnight parking allowed at the venue in Valle Crucis.
95-Mile Long Route Cut-Off Time
Important: Riders that have registered for the 95-mile long route, understand and agree, that in the event they have not reached the short/long route split at mile 33.3 by 10:30 am, they will not be allowed to continue on the 95-mile long route. Riders that do not make the cut-off will be directed onto the shorter route where they can continue to ride with full support until finished. The cut-off time will be adjusted if the ride start is delayed.
Registration Transfer Policy
Important: BSG Events, Inc. has a strict No Refund policy. Registered riders that can no longer participate in the event can transfer their registration for the same current year event to another rider at any time for an additional $50 transfer fee. The transfer deadline is June 21st. BSG does not offer registration deferrals. Registration fees paid are valid only for the current year’s event.
BSG Events, Inc. will only recognize registration transfers that are completed through the BSG registration site before the deadline of June 21st. Please login to our registration website to complete a transfer. Third-party transfers are not allowed. It is important that our event safety personnel know who they are attending to in an emergency situation. Not knowing is frustrating and time-consuming. For this reason, we require that all transfers be completed through our registration website. Bib numbers are assigned to registered riders for identification purposes. This is the only way for ride personnel to quickly and accurately identify you and notify emergency contacts. Handing your bib number to a friend on the morning of the ride may seem OK, but in the case of an emergency, it could prevent us from providing you with the best care possible.
Route Category Change Policy
After completing the online registration, riders who elect to change the category originally selected can do so through the BSG online registration platform by June 21st. Fees may apply. Contact the ride director if you have questions at email@example.com
BSG provides timing chips for non-competitive timing purposes. Riders should mount timing chips according to the instructions provided with each chip to ensure correct timing. BSG is not responsible for incorrectly mounted timing chips or timing chip errors of any kind.
After The Ride
Please enjoy all post-ride activities, including a free post-ride meal. Look for all-new, expanded post-ride activities in 2023. We do not have showers.
BSG is powered by volunteers that help make BSG possible every year. Community partners like Ashe and Watauga county Sheriffs and Rescue Squads help keep our riders safe along the routes. Numerous local area volunteer fire departments host our aid stations and keep the riders smiling as they click off the miles. From pre-ride planning to the final clean-up, our volunteers help make the difference that keeps our riders coming back year after year. We can never say it enough but thank you to the hundreds of volunteers that make the Blood Sweat and Gears ride a great experience for so many.
If you’re interested in finding out more about how you can volunteer for the 2023 Blood Sweat and Gears ride, please contact our ride director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online registration will open on February 15th at 7am for the 2023 BSG ride. You can register HERE.
Friday, June 23rd
2pm – 8pm
Valle Crucis Elementary School- Map
2998 Broadstone Rd, Sugar Grove, NC 28679
Saturday, June 24th
6am – 7:15am
Valle Crucis Elementary School- Map
2998 Broadstone Rd, Sugar Grove, NC 28679
Note: Traffic delays are common coming into Valle Crucis on the morning of the ride. Please allow time for parking before going to packet pickup.
Packet Pickup Policy
BSG policy will allow multiple packets to be picked up at one time. Riders that have signed the online waiver and release and have paid the required registration fee will be able to have someone pick up their packet for them. Bib numbers and timing chips will be distributed with rider packets. BSG Events, Inc. is not responsible for packets or packet contents that are lost, mishandled, or not delivered in a timely manner by any designated person.
BSG Events, Inc. has a strict No Refund policy. Registered riders that can no longer participate in the event can transfer their registration for the same current year event to another rider for an additional $50 transfer fee. Transfers must be completed through the BSG online registration platform by June 21st. Contact the ride director if you have questions at email@example.com
Start / Finish Line
Valle Crucis Elementary School located at 2998 Broadstone Rd, Sugar Grove, NC 28679
Ride Start Times
95 – Mile Route Start is 7:30am
45 – Mile Route Start is 7:45am
See our Venue Map below for parking locations.
When will online registration cut-off? Online registration will remain open through Wednesday, June 21st at 7pm. Walk-up registration will be available at the Valle Crucis Elementary School on Saturday, June 24th between 6 am and 7:15 am.
When is the best time to attend packet pick-up? We encourage everyone to attend the Friday afternoon Packet Pick-up if possible. If you plan to attend packet pick-up on Saturday morning, please be aware of delays due to traffic in Valle Crucis. We also now offer a more streamlined packet pick-up policy that makes it possible for riders to have a friend or family member pick up their packet.
Can I get a refund or transfer my registration? BSG Events, Inc. has a strict no refund policy but we do allow registered riders that can no longer participate in the event to transfer their registration for the same current year event to another rider. There is an additional $50 transfer fee. All transfers must be processed through the online registration platform by June 21st. BSG Events, Inc. cannot be responsible for, or honor, third-party transfers outside of this system.
Can I change the distance after I have registered? Route Changes, up or down, can be made by logging back into the registration site by June 21st or at packet pick-up before the ride. Fees may apply.
Do I have to pick up my bib numbers and timing chip in person? BSG policy will allow multiple packets to be picked up at one time. Riders that have signed the online waiver and release, which is part of the online registration process, and have paid the required registration fee will be able to have someone pick up their packet for them. Bib numbers and timing chips will be distributed with rider packets. BSG Events, Inc. is not responsible for packets or packet contents that are lost, mishandled, or not delivered in a timely manner by any designated person.
I can’t attend the ride this year. Will you mail me the t-shirt? All riders must be present at the event to receive free promotional items including but not limited to the event t-shirt and VIP swag offerings. Unfortunately, BSG Events, Inc. cannot mail promotional items to participants that are unable to attend the event in person for any reason.